Sunday, August 12, 2007

Vacation Opened My Eyes To Need For Entrepreneurs

I just returned from a vacation to New Brunswick, Canada, to visit my family for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. The trip was great and the barn party we threw for my parents was a great success. The time I spent with my family in the fresh country air was priceless. My brother recently relocated to New Brunswick from Toronto and started a general construction business there a year ago and business is booming for him based on his experience and quality of workmanship. In fact he could be bigger if not for one significant problem, there is no young labour force in New Brunswick. Or at least not a labour force that wants to work. Most of the hard working youth has moved out to western Canada in pursuit of the promised big money.

What I saw in New Brunswick is lots of potential with lots of customers. The labour force is cheaper to employ than all other provinces west of New Brunswick and the cost of living is also lower. The biggest problem for New Brunswick, in fact all of the maritimes, has been a legacy of generations use to feeding on the government teat. For the truly industrious or entrepreneurial finding a labour force willing to work hard all year long is difficult when it is easier to work long enough until eligible for unemployment insurance. However, if you can be like my brother and build a business by yourself first as he has done (he now has a waiting list of customers months long) the labour force will come to you for job security. The mass exodus of youth to Alberta says only one thing to me, they want to work but they want a trade and they want to better their life from their parents. Bring the employment to New brunswick that pays fairly and teaches the youth to be proud of their job and I know they will stay home.

There is lots of money (customers) in the maritimes, there is government support for new business entrepreneurship and word of mouth advertising is faster and more loyal than here in Ontario.

If more entrepreneurs invest in the maritimes more of their youth will stay and return to work. Land in New Brunswick is a small fraction of what land is in Alberta or Ontario and as entrepreneurs build the economy in the maritimes land ownership will become the next great investment for your personal portfolio.

My eyes are opened and I believe that New Brunswick in particular is the next best entrepreneurial investment.

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising