Saturday, April 28, 2007

Suicide Is A Selfish Act

My post today is outside what I would normally write about but today my parents had to see my uncle dead in his apartment after his daughter checked on him after he did not answer our calls yesterday. My mother's brother committed the most selfish act one human can do to another, he took his own life. This is the second suicide in two years that I have had to deal with since my aunt on my fathers side took her life because of a gambling addiction.

My uncle committed suicide due to depression and loneliness after a life of self gratifying abuse with women and alcohol. I know I should feel sorry for him but instead I am angry at him for doing this to my mother. She has been there for him his entire life when others were not and never judged him for his actions. She just opened her home and fed him and gave him love. My mother and father, both in their early 70's, want to spend their last years in New Brunswick, Canada, and were moving today. His act was his final selfishness to prevent her from leaving him. My mother will undoubtedly carry some unwarranted guilt and their move down east which should be an exciting move for them will instead be a move of dread and heartache. I am very angry with my uncle.

If you are considering such an act yourself. Stop and ask yourself first, who will be most hurt by this act and if the answer is the one who loved you most and was always there for you then does she deserve this heartache and guilt? The answer is NO. So do the most heroic thing in your life and reach out for professional help.

I have added a link to a Canadian website that speaks to how you can get help. Take that step and click here for the website. Remember that Suicide is a selfish act. Is that how you want to be remembered?

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs