Thursday, February 22, 2007

Another Salesman, Send Him Away!

Too often I hear from sales people that they "...don't know why the prospect won't listen to them talk about the features of their products and/or services or, they are always too busy to listen to me talk about my company and our products". The problem with their approach is that they are too focused on "What's In It For Themselves (making the sale)" and not addressing what the prospect is thinking which is "What's In It For Me."

The best approach I have found is to not start talking about you but rather to start talking about them. Provide them valuable information, perhaps a white paper addressing an industry issue. Ask Powerful Questions that are designed to dig and probe to uncover the problems in their business today. What are their top 5 priorities that they lose sleep over every night. Once uncovered, go away and come back in a subsequent meeting describing the benefits of your products in the context of how their problems will go away when they work with you and your company.

I received a "Compliment" and a "Gift" with "No Sales Pitch" that caught my attention:

I remember when I was on the other side of the desk and I was the buyer and how this one salesperson got my attention and as a result I listened. As is each new business owner, we are very busy juggling many tasks and this one day I had a cold call face to face with someone who started with;

"...I know you are busy so I just want to leave with you this great cartoon I found and I will call you next week on Monday to schedule some time with you to learn more about your company and how you have grown your business so fast."

Now here's the intriguing part of the story, the cartoon was of a King standing atop a hill looking down on his men in heated battle against the opposing forces who were pushing back his line of defense. There was a soldier saying to the King, "Sire, there is a Salesman here who wants to talk to you." And the King responded with "Can't you see I'm busy! Send him away!" In the background of the picture was a medieval salesman held back by the Kings Guard with lances crossed in front of the salesman with his demonstration product, a new invention...."The Gatling Gun".

I kept that cartoon on my wall for many years as a reminder that the salesman I don't meet might be the salesman who could have changed the tide of my business.

Needless to say, when that salesman called me Monday I made the appointment. :)

2 comments:

Ray MacNeil said...

I found a place where you can purchase a cartoon similar to the one I describe in this post if you are interested in using this tool for your Cold Calling Sales at: http://www.cartoonstock.com/blowup.asp?imageref=csl0003&artist=Sloth,+Cornelius&topic=Cold+call+

Dave said...

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comments at my blog. I find the cartoon useful to send to prospects who hide behind voicemail. They often ring you back.
Another idea, sendit to a PA who turns every opportunity away without listening to the reason for your approach.

Best of all, its a reminder that I need to deliver value in an engagement from the moment you even start talking with a customer. This includes a cold call.

Nice post.

Dave

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs