Monday, February 12, 2007

They told me so!

When I made the decision to get into business for myself 15 years ago I was married with 2 young children. The decision was easy for me because I like change but for my family and freinds I was crazy and I'm sure they could not wait to say "I told you so!" I had a great job with the city I live in, with a good salary and 6 weeks vacation and sick days. To the person who likes to be in a job (Just Over Broke) then I was crazy. To the person who thinks like me, a job is not good enough then this blog will make a great deal of sense to you because I am writing to the risk takers, the true entrepreneurs of the world. I always want more out of life. I'm not afraid of hard work and it was time to put my entreprenuerial work ethic to work for me.

I have to tell you that when the honeymoon phase of my business was over (the first week of congratulation, going away parties) the real impact of my decision really sunk in. I was now on my own and I have only myself to answer to when I make mistakes.

The first two years was hard. I was away from my young family working long hours, long weeks, suffering through poor cash flow and also countless loss opportunities going through the learning curve. Then, in year 3, all hell broke loose and business took off. I started to enjoy life style changes as a result of better cash flow, larger projects and people were sending me business so my marketing costs actually went down and I had more time with my family. What happened? I survived. Thank god!

The reality is most small start up businesses fail within the first 1 to 2 years. How did I do it? Perseverance! I hate to quit, I have to win and win I did. But, what if? What if I could do it all again and not repeat my mistakes and actually apply what I learned 15 years later. What if the Honeymoon could last forever? This is what I will talk about more and more each and every day, most days, of the week.

I hope you will enjoy my blog, learn from my blog and pass my blog around to as many people as you feel will be appreciative of an insiders point of view on business, franchising, and the internet.

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs