Tuesday, May 1, 2007

What Would You Wear For A Client Presentation?

I participate in a UK Trainer Base that just asked me an interesting rhetorical question on the following:

"I'd like to ask a question (again rhetorical), what constitutes 'well dressed' in the training environment? I was at a training assessment day some time ago where potential associates, myself included were asked to deliver a short management training workshop on a topic of their choice. The range of attire of the delegates was quite interesting (another term for varied and questionable), especially as the sole objective of the day was to impress the potential recruiter. One or two were definitely on the 'bit casual' side. So, given the topic was Management and the person watching was a potential client: what would you have turned up in and would it have helped or hindered? Just a thought:)

Peter
AKA Ed"


I believe at all times you should dress for success but also match the role you want to convey. In Ed's example I would have been dressed in a suit. When I started my Construction Company I started in a suit for all clients but soon realized that I was over dressed for home renovations. So I changed my approach and began to dress in business casual for my industrial clients and in jeans and a company golf shirt for my residential clients.

The thinking was that if I was in a suit for the home owner I must charge too much. For the industrial clients I had to present success but not too much or they will also think I will charge them too much. It may seem like a trivial detail but don't underestimate the decisions made by others based on your image. Most people translate information into pictures and the first picture they see is how you are dressed. I want to present myself as successful and professional but at the same level of the person I'm speaking with at that time. A suit to match a suit and dressed down for the person who does not wear a suit.

What is your opinion on this subject?

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs