Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Anthony Parinello - Decision Makers

Anthony Parinello, (who I have wrote about before and you can click on this post title to go to his website), speaks of the 4 positions within an organization (The Influencer, The Recommender, The Decision Maker and The Approver) and how your approach to each role is different. I recently read some great tips from Anthony which provided me some further insights to the motivations of the Decision Maker which included:

"...the classic profile of a Decision Maker:
This person is upwardly MOBILE.
This person craves high VISIBILITY.
This person is politically ASTUTE.
This person is EXTREMELY LOYAL to people who make him or her look good.
And, sometimes, this person is a GRADUATE of your existing customer base. And speaking of graduates ... Be sure to keep track of your "alumni" Decision Makers when they move on to other organizations! (And count on it - they will.) Call your alumni Decision Maker and say, "Congratulations! Remember, all the great work we accomplished together at your old company? How could we create similar or even greater results for you at your new company?"
The greatest TIP here is that when you work with a Decision Maker and they do move on to another company then you should follow them to that company to create a new opportunity for your business. Many of my new clients started when I would receive a call from this person in their new company asking me to come in and quote on a project. In other words, they had already sold me to their new employer (typically the Approver) before I even called them to see if there was an opportunity.
Why would they do this?
Well, as Anthony states, they are upwardly mobile and they want a 'feather in their cap'. They have already experienced my high level of service and quality of delivery and value pricing and they knew that they would be praised for bringing me into their company. I was all too willing to make sure my contact (The Decision Maker) was given all the credit.
They can get all the credit and I will get all the opportunities, the new business.

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs