Sunday, March 4, 2007

Are Meetings Killing Your Business?

Too often in my many years toiling in the Corporate world I had to sit through poorly facilitated meetings that started late, ended late and had no clear stated purpose. Starting my career in the early 1980's, as a Professional Purchasing Agent, I was fortunate to have been trained in Kepnor-Tregoe methodologies at a time when the organization I was working for was investigating 'Consensus Decision Making'. I won't spend any time in this blog post speaking about consensus decision making except to say it does not work. Someone ultimately needs to make a decision or you will create an over budget camel when a cost efficient horse was the true objective. However, I was trained in problem solving and decision making systems as well as on being a meeting facilitator.

A meeting facilitator works on the sidelines listening and aiding the participants in keeping focused on the agenda. They do not chair the meeting nor do they take minutes. They generally speak only when requested to do so and respond with guidance on how the meeting can be steered back on course. For example, to solicit an opinion from the "Sleeping Giant". This is the person listening and taking notes but not strong enough in the meeting room to interrupt the talkers who monopolize a meeting. Generally because they have listened to the back and forth banter, debates and discussions, that when asked by the Facilitator or Chair they give a perspective that can be a significant break through to a meeting deadlock.

I've attached a link under this post title that I found at Co-op Tools with a list of tips on creating a productive meeting. I also found on the internet a tip sheet on the 11 Habits to Creating a Successful Meeting. I will add another tip that I learned many years ago about the Queen of England, that when she meets with her Privy Council, which has been the tradition for centuries, does not sit down; they all stand.

This idea intrigued me so I began a test with my staff where we met in the board room with no chairs and table. Initially they griped but my persistence payed off. They later began to bring a one page report with bullet cues on their action items and spoke clearly on the task at hand. In other words, less idle chat and discussions that led nowhere. Our meetings went from 2 hours to 30 minutes and we produced much more output including staff who were now bragging about how much more time they have to execute on the action items. So their morale went up and they became more excited about our meetings.

If you feel that meetings are killing your business (when I speak of your business I'm talking also about the time taken away from each of your staff to conduct their job which is their business within your business) then you need to look at bringing in a trained facilitator and/or try thinking outside the box and stand up.

No comments:

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs