Friday, March 16, 2007

Let's Play Golf

How often can you play golf? As often as you want. If you are self employed then golf should be a sport you learn to play. I admit that I'm not a great golfer. As a matter of fact, I am a 'hacker'. I will hack at as much turf as I hit the ball. Never the less, I don't slow the game down, I do make some good shots now and then and even have made my odd birdie holes. Yet I love the game. I love walking or driving in a cart through the links of a course thinking about what club to use and sharing in the "great shot and great putt" moments with friends, family and business associates. Sharing moments with business associates, now there is an interesting concept.

Many times I have secured business as a result of these shared moments on the golf course. If I was having difficulty getting an appointment with a Senior Decision Maker or Approver and I knew they played golf then I would invite them to a game at a course I knew they would have a difficult time saying no to because of it's prestige, ranking, price, or tee off time availability.

I would invite them with a compliment of recognition e.g, "Mr. Senior Decision Maker, you are probably the busiest man (or woman) I have ever tried to speak with, listen, if you're interested, I have a tee off time this Thursday [never a Friday or Monday because that is family, friends or work time. Thursday seems to be the best day I found because they can get through Wednesday 'hump day' and are now starting to think about the weekend] and my partner cancelled on me today. It's a nice course, 'Elitist Springs Golf and Country Club' and I was looking forward to playing the course. Why don't you join me Thursday and reward yourself for all the hard work you've been putting in, it's on me?"

Very rarely, and I mean rarely, have I been turned down by anyone who likes to play golf to play a round of 18 holes at one of the best golf courses in town. And it is worth every penny I spend. How often do you get to connect with a future client with all their guards down. By the 19th hole we are buddies and talking about doing it again. Now here is the secret; never during the entire time do I sell or speak about my company. Remember, this is his reward for working hard. However, by the 19th hole he will bring up questions about my business which I do answer but in snippets and then eventually say, "Listen 'Bob' today is about golf. Why don't I come into your office tomorrow afternoon and we can talk business then?" He agrees and now I have earned his respect. Not to mentioned that I also love playing golf, and 'shooting the breeze' about golf over a beer is also a well earned reward for my hard work.

Follow up to this post: check out Golf Now for discounts at many Golf Courses around the USA as proffered by one of my readers.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great advice! Next time you want to solidify a business deal on the golf course, you should try GolfNow.com where you can get up to 70% off rounds of golf. There are discount tee times for over 1,000 courses nationwide. Try it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
the GolfNow team

Ray MacNeil said...

Thanks to the GolfNow team and I will check this out and trust my readers to do the same. /Ray

Featured Advertisers

Free Advertising

Earlier Blogs